A garage door is one of the most dangerous parts of the home. According to studies, over 13,000 people are injured each year in garage door accidents. However, these accidents are avoidable when homeowners hire garage door installation services in Glendale, AZ. Below are several tips to follow for better garage door safety.
* Mount the buttons carefully. Do not mount them within the reach of children; safety experts recommend that they be mounted at least five feet from the floor. Controls should be positioned so the user has a clear view of the door during use.
* Guard the remote. Do not allow children to handle the garage door remote, and ensure that they know it’s nothing to be played with.
* Be honest. Have a conversation with children about the risks of garage door misuse. Children old enough to use the door should be taught safe operational procedures.
* Know what to do in an emergency. Most homeowners would not know what to do in the event of a garage door accident, and an equal number do not know how to use a door’s emergency release. In these situations, the homeowner should read the door’s operational manual carefully so they will know how to respond.
* Maintain the door properly. Many garage door accidents happen because of problems preventable with proper maintenance. Doors should be visually inspected once per month. If signs of damage or wear are spotted, call in a professional for maintenance and repair.
* Don’t try DIY repairs. Monthly inspections, maintenance and repairs should be left to licensed professionals. Many garage door accidents are due to poor maintenance, and some of those undoubtedly result from maintenance attempts gone wrong.
* Test the reversal mechanism. Homeowners should frequently verify the operational status of the garage door’s reversal mechanism; it could save another person’s life. The test is simple to perform: with the garage door open, put a small object on the floor in the door’s path, push the button, and if the door does not reverse its path when it touches the object, call ASAP Door Repair & Service, Inc. right away.
Most people do not devote much thought to the garage door until there is an issue. Garage door installation services in Glendale, AZ are often dangerous and should be left to the professionals. By following the tips listed above, homeowners can stay safe and keep the garage door working correctly.