Clean and functional gutters protect a home from flooding and water damage by catching and re-routing rain water away from the house. Although gutters can be manufactured from a variety of materials, including plastic, copper, and cast iron, most gutters are made from aluminum sheet metal in Tacoma, WA. The following are some interesting facts about these valuable architectural features.
Gutters come in a variety of shapes, either rounded or squared. The two most common styles are half round, which looks like a bisected pipe, and k style, which is a squared style that can be attached directly to the fascia. There are more decorative versions of these two styles, and most people choose a gutter style based on aesthetics rather than function.
- Gutters have been in use for thousands of years. The earliest gutters, dating from approximately 3000 B.C., were found in Pakistan. Bricks were used in the ancient plumbing system to direct water away from buildings. Until fairly recently in history, home gutters were made of wood rather than Sheet Metal in Tacoma WA.
- Gutter cleaners have found all kinds of surprising things in gutters, including Frisbees, tennis balls, Barbie dolls and, strangely, earthworms. It is supposed that birds carry earthworm cocoons that fall into gutters and gestate there.
- In addition to earthworms, birds, squirrels, mice, and snakes are also likely to take up residence in gutters. The accumulated leaves, pine straw, and other debris make comfortable nests for small creatures. Unfortunately, rodents and other animals can not only damage the roof; they can find a way into the attic from the roof and move inside the house.
- Flora can also thrive in gutters that haven’t been cleaned out in awhile. The build-up of gutter debris creates a moist environment that is friendly to moss. Moss that starts off in the gutters can creep up onto the roof and damage the shingles.
- Cleaning gutters can be very dangerous. More than 150,000 people in the U.S. end up in the emergency room every year after falling from ladders.
Installing and maintaining gutters is one of the best things homeowners can do to protect their homes and properties.