If you experience any problems with your HVAC; heating, ventilating and air conditioning then you are probably going to call heating contractors in Chicago to fix the problem. There are very few homeowners that can troubleshoot a problem with their heating system, perhaps they can change the furnace filter periodically but that’s about the extent of it. When the time comes to call for repairs, here are a few tips that may help you get a satisfactory response.
- Check your home first, find out if any room seems particularly cold compared to others, get all the information on your furnace including make and model and see if you can determine when the unit was last serviced.
- Before you start calling, check with the authorities to determine what the requirements are for heating contractors Chicago area; what insurance must they carry and do they have to be licensed?
- It would be rare if a family member, friend or workmate has not had furnace problems in the past which they had repaired. Call around and see if you can get any referrals and recommendations.
- Call the recommended firms and ask them for references, call these people and inquire about the level of satisfaction which will include the service, timeliness and doing the job on budget.
- For those contractors that pass this hurdle, check their history with the BBB, better business bureau. Make sure the contractors insurance and license are all up to date.
- It is always wise to get multiple quotes; if you have a short list of three potential contractors call them all and tell them what you want. The right contractors will rarely give a price over the phone; they will want to inspect the system first before they suggest either repairs or replacement of your outmoded system. If replacement is suggested, talk to the contractor about Energy Star equipment which will save you money over time because of the efficiency.
- Get written estimates from all the contractors; compare the elements of the bids carefully. Go beyond price, check the warranties offered and the efficiency of what is being offered. If the equipment that is being quoted on is not efficient, then the lowest bid will cost more in the long run.
Once you choose the heating contractors in Chicago that you want to do the job, get everything in writing in the form of a contract. Include the price, the equipment details, the warranty and the schedule.