If someone is stalking you or threatening your safety in any way, obtaining a protection order can help you.

What is it?

An order of protection or OFP is a kind of court order. It orders anyone who threatens you or abuses you to:

  • Leave your home
  • Stop all contact with you
  • Make temporary custody possible along with parenting time or visitations
  • Allow you the use of a property

Who can ask for it?

If you are related to your abuser or have been in a relationship, stayed in the same home, been married to each other for some time or have a child together, then you are qualified to get an OFP.

Many of the terms of an OFP, though, apply to cases of domestic violence. Workplaces Respond says the country loses about $727.8 million due to domestic violence. In addition, there are also 7.9 million paid to workdays lost each year. That’s a whole lot of productivity lost to violence and speaks of the widespread problem of domestic abuse against women and children. With a protection order, victims can find a way to put a stop to the violence, to survive, escape and move on.

Who grants it?

A protection order is granted by a Judge, saying the defendant has to keep his/her distance from you. This prohibits the defendant from entering your home or coming to you, whether you’re at work or in school. In case the defendant approaches you, violating the order of protection, you could file a new charge. That charge could help get the defendant finally arrested.

How to get one?

You can apply by yourself at the country courthouse. But if you have a child to protect, need witnesses or evidence, possible problems with your immigration status, then it’s best to hire a lawyer to help you out.

Be the first to like.