Having your home built can be a pretty thrilling experience. However, it does require you to stay on top of a number things. Add a job, raising a family, marriage and pets and you’ve got a full deck of worries on your hands, with things getting pretty hectic right away. If you aren’t careful, you could miss essential details. Here’s some helpful advice to help you stay focused.
Home Building Advice
- Use a checklist. The Federal Trade Commission believes using a sign-off checklist will help you keep your mind on the task at hand. It’s not always easy to remember what you should look out for. Having a list will definitely come in handy. Make sure you include:
- Be on the lookout for scams. There’s a lot of money exchanged in home building projects. Protect your home and investment by making sure you’re working with legitimate contractors. Also, don’t hand over your deed to anybody else and don’t let anyone pressure you into signing a contract.
- Compare quotes. Make sure to shop around. Finding the best home building contractor in Monterey is easier if you have a list of bids or quotes to choose from.
- One way to make sure is to always ask for licenses and references from contractors. You can call up the references or client numbers and talk about your contractors past service history. Was the service satisfactory? What went wrong? Did the project go over budget? By how much? Knowing these things will help you get a handle on the kind of contactor you’re dealing with.
- Get a written contract. Make sure you and the contractor has everything you’ve agreed and talked about put down in writing. That piece of paper is proof for all the services you and the contractor agreed on. If the contractor backs out or violates any one of the stipulations included in the agreement, you could have the ammunition you need to sue the contractor for breach of contract.
- Keep records—of everything. From receipts to contract copies and even change orders, keeping a log of every document or file that matters, especially for all your payments, is one way to make sure you can easily monitor and track your home building project.
- Be wise with your payments. Don’t hand out the final payment until the work is done and you’re wholly satisfied with the results.
So make sure your home building project goes off without a hitch. With a ton of helpful advice, you can make that happen.
If you’ve always had the image of your perfect home, contact us at Bakker Construction. Let’s talk about your home building plans today.