Given that buying a home is a huge investment for most people, it is natural that one of the things we want to do is ensure that the property looks stylish and aesthetically pleasing both inside and out. The decor that we select forms a big part of the internal appearance of our property and while some people decide to use wall paper as part of their decor there are many others that like the modern, fresh appearance of paint.
In order to ensure that you get all of the benefits that come with painted walls, it is important that you know the basics of house painting. This will help to make sure that you get great results and that the finished job looks really attractive. Whether you are planning to stay in your home or whether you are doing it up with a view to selling, you should bear in mind the importance of properly painting your home.
Some tips to help you achieve great results
Some house painting tips that can help you to achieve great results include:
1. Choose the right shade: With so many different shades to choose from, deciding on the best paint colour can be difficult. However, try and keep your colours either light or neutral, particularly if you are planning to sell your home, as this will help to make your rooms look bigger.
2. Get the right tools: In order to carry out a proper paint job on your home you need to make sure you have the proper tools for the job. Invest in high quality tools such as paintbrushes and rollers, as this will have a big impact on the end result.
3. Detach light fixtures: In order to ensure you can do a proper job without ruining your fixtures and fittings make sure you remove all light fixtures prior to starting your paint job.
4. Cover switches and sockets: It is all too easy to accidentally get paint on switches and sockets, so make sure you get all of these covered up before you begin painting as this will enable you to paint around them without getting paint on them.
5. Check the surface: You need to check the surface that is due to be painted, ensuring that it is clean and dry as well as free from dust, debris and loose flecks from existing paint.
6. Fill cracks and sand the walls: If you have any cracks or holes in the wall, use a proper filler to get them filled out. Also, make sure you sand the wall down to get a smooth surface on which to paint.
Do bear in mind that painting does require skill and confidence, so if you do not feel that you can do a good enough job or you don’t have the confidence to complete the job it is well worth calling on experts to help.
To speak to expert house painters with regards to decorating your property for you, get in touch with the specialists at BCR Painting.