Did you ever wonder how the early settlers to San Marcos managed to stay cool in the summer? There were a few things that a homesteader could do, such as building a house with thick walls so as to stay as cool as possible, but overall, not much was possible. Fortunately, today’s residents have HVAC in San Marcos.
Air conditioning is one of the miracles of modern life that is only really appreciated when it isn’t there. However, it isn’t free. Here are a few tips on saving money while helping the air conditioning system to operate at peak efficiency.
* Solar screens or window film, especially on windows facing east or west, can prevent as much as 70% of solar energy from entering the home, saving money.
* Don’t over-cool an empty house. Raise the temperature on the thermostat when no one will be home. If no one is normally home during the day, consider a programmable thermostat; just set it and forget it.
* There’s nothing new about using fans, but the moving air will help people feel cooler when the thermostat is a degree or two higher by increasing the rate of moisture evaporation from their skin.
* Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom to remove heat and moist air as quickly as possible.
Cooking adds heat, so whenever possible, grill outside, use the microwave or cook in the evening.
* Think ahead, plant trees. That shade will help to reduce the utility bill. Don’t forget to provide shade for the outside unit; the U.S. Department of Energy states that this can improve efficiency by up to 10%.
* Set the fan speed to High for normal use. If the day is very humid, then set the fan speed to Low. The Low fan speed will actually remove the most moisture from the air on a very humid day, making everyone feel more comfortable.
* Change air conditioning filters regularly. Make notes ahead of time on the calendar to “Change Filters.”
* Today’s air conditioners are much more efficient than older units. Replacing an inefficient, old air conditioner with a new Energy Star-qualified unit could save as much as 50% on the cooling costs.
For over 40 years, Stillman Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. has been providing the best HVAC in San Marcos. Browse their website at domain URL to learn more about how they can help you stay cool and comfortable. You can also visit them on Facebook for more information.