While the option to live off-base exists, many members of the military do not choose it. Instead, they prefer base housing. They have their reasons, and they are valid ones.
Five Benefits of Living on a Military Base
There are several reasons why military personnel choose base housing over its counterpart. The most prominent reasons are as follows:
• Access: Living on base means easy and direct access to work. There is no worrying about the length of the commute or whether you will be stuck in traffic. You also do not need to worry about accessing the gate.
• Amenities: May bases offer diverse amenities. These can include:
◦ Children’s playgrounds
◦ Fitness centers
◦ Shopping centers
◦ Dental and doctor offices
◦ Baseball diamonds
• Security: If you live on base, you are part of a gated community protected and patrolled by the military police.
• Community: On-base living means you are part of a larger community. They understand your situation. They can relate to such things as deployment.
• Fixed Rent: The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) ensures your rent is paid.
• Utilities: This is covered, unlike many off-base residential options.
These are the basic advantages of living on a military base.
Military Base Housing
Most military personnel are given a choice as to where they may live. It may be off base in short-term housing. It could be in a rental or purchased home. Some opt for living in on-base housing. In Norfolk VA, these are all available options.